Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Chicken as a commodity...

You know, I have honestly never really thought about this, but once again things come down to making money. Before this mass production and easy availability of chickens, we all ate the "traditional" chickens. Then somewhere along the line someone said to themselves, "I bet people would be willing to pay me to do all the dirty work." So along with the want of money, our laziness contributed to the meat industry that we know of today. It is quite obvious that chickens are in fact voiceless victims of cruel commodification and that traditional chickens have it better. The traditional chickens are able to live and do whatever it is that chickens do, as opposed to living in way too small cages and being fed horomones.
I would totally kill and pluck a chicken in order to eat it as dinner. People and animals have been catching and eating their own kill for centuries. I am from the central valley so I am surrounded by people and family that live and breath agriculture. I have seen my grandfather kill pigs and cows, skin them, clean them, and separate the meat. Not once did I ever say to myself, oh my gosh this is so sad or feel that i couldnt handle it. It's life. From the very beginning we hunted and gathered, did whatever was necessary in order to survive. Chickens are going to be consumed regardless, but they definitely should not be produced in this way. (Though I am guilty of buying packaged chicken) I would love to be apart of a society that did things like this the traditional way. My great grandma used to tell me that when they were little they would get all the little kids and made it a contest to see who could catch a chicken the fastest. Then one of the adults would get the chicken and cut its neck off and they would all just watch it run around like crazy. I know, I know, this sounds terrible, especially when reading, but when my grandma would speak of it, it was always in an amusing way, like it was a type of bonding. Now a days most people would hear that story and think oh my gosh how horrible! how could someone do that!? But things weren't readily available like they are today, and people have bigger faults because they support a very cruel way that meat is produced, a way that devalues living things.
I am willing to bet that had chicken not become this "commodity" we would not have half as many vegetarians as we have today.

No comments:

Post a Comment