Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Religion... More Religion... and Science?

I have gone to a catholic school for the past thirteen years, but from what I remember science and religion were kept separated. In fact, my elementary school didn't start really focusing on science curriculum until the forth grade. Looking back now, even in highschool, we were never taught, "this is how the world was made. This is how and why things evolve." I never really thought much about it, didnt really notice it actually, until thinking about it just now. We were just told some people think this and others think that.
I do agree, however, religion is not always excepting of the latest scientific discoveries. Catholicism is very old fashion. In fact, just the other day my friend and I were saying that the church needs to undergo a third Vatican Council. Though the last one took place in the late sixties, a lot has changed since then, especially scientifically. For instance, now it is very common for a woman to take fertility pills if she is having trouble conceiving, she can undergo invetro, and even get a serrogate; however, the Church does not condone such things, because the sacred union between two people is absent. I just feel that someone shouldn't go to "hell" just for wanting a child. Just thinking about what I FEEL is right and what the Church SAYS is right puts my mind into a frenzy.

I guess religion and science together will always be a catch-22.

No comments:

Post a Comment