Thursday, April 29, 2010

Two Great Men

I have had the privilege of being in the same room as Nelson Mandela and got to hear him speak last year when I went to the inauguration. I went with a specific group and everyday we would go to the University of Maryland where we would hear of different people's life stories and the things that they achieved againt all odds.
Among those people was Nelson Mandela. I cannot even begin to explain how remarkable this man is. He was so full of life!
Before this chapter I knew that he was a historical figure resposible for change, but I had no idea how badly he had it in prison and the extent of all his struggles. When people go through things like that it really affects them, leaving some bitter. This was not the case with Nelson Mandela. Not once while he was speaking to us did he not have a smile on his face. He also laughed A LOT!! It was cute. I remember thinking that his laugh kind of sounded like Rafiki's laugh from the lion king. He was seemed so free-spirited, and you could tell that he was just an absolute joy to be around!!

I think that we can learn a lot from people like Nelson Mandela and Ghandi. They are prime examples that love will get you farther than fear. Their persistance, dedication, and courage to stand up for what they believe in was truly remarkable.
We need more Madelas and Ghandis in this world!

No comments:

Post a Comment